Friday, May 4, 2012

Things We Said Today

Katie Mumbi is awesome!  She is kind of brilliant and already pretty attached to me.  She really clams up around other people.  She can say "Mbwa Millie" and points at Millie's picture.  She also knows "Baba" and points at Jeff's picture and calls the picture of our house "Baba Kinyumba" (Daddy's little house).  She answers my questions with yes and no nods and really seems to know what I'm asking much of the time.  I was mostly impressed that she told me to put water in her Cheerios.  She used her words (Swahili) very clearly and was VERY insistant.  She would not accept no for an answer.  She is VERY bullheaded when she wants to be.  But she is also a cuddler and wants to be comforted.  She fell and hit her head today and wanted me to hold her.  She really hides behind me or in my arms around other people.  Nat would go with anyone.

I definitely have a stomach thing.  I've started Cipro.  I'm also just not eating as much here.  I'm glad I have my vitamins and my meds.  The food is just a bit off - except for the chicken at the market.   But it is overcooked and I can only eat so much chicken.  I am definitely glad to have my store of food but I am mostly using that for the kids.  They both are eating like there is no tomorrow.  I'm trying to slow them down so they don't get sick but that is hard to do…especially with Nat who can really cry.

I'm recording video's with my computer but my connection here isn't strong enough to upload them to the blog.  I will definitely do that when we are back home.  My favorite so far is a video of Katie Mumbi hiding behind the curtain and us doing the whole "Where's Katie?  Boo!" thing and laughing.  And then she started saying "Where's Katie?  Doo!"  Really, the kid is a genius.  She just also might be a biter.  Can we shrug our shoulders and say, "Africa"?  I definitely need to have Liz look up the Swahili words for "wait", "stay", and "later".

There is some musical performance outside tonight.  Maybe it is "First Fridays Kinshasa" just like "First Fridays Richmond"!  I should have taken the kids (just kidding).  Instead…I'm going to put on "50 First Dates" for white noise and try to sleep.

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment