Then, between now and Monday morning we will be taking them out together to the Congolese Passport office to have their photos taken there (and that is okay for me to come too) and also to have their medical exams. David said that he has already applied for their passports and the photos should be the last step. The passport office tells David that the passports will be ready on Monday morning - which is time for the US Embassy appointment. I am NOT counting on that happening - but praying that it does. If, by some miracle, the passports are ready on Monday then it will be entirely possible to make our original flights home. I am fully prepared, though, for that not to happen. But I am also willing to do just about anything I can to make that happen.
Dad and Jeremy and I walked to Hassan market today and it was really great. It was like a miniature Walmart with little departments for about everything you can imagine. They also had a restaurant (pricey) and an area to get take out (reasonable). I bought 1/4 of a chicken and some roasted potatoes for $8 and Dad and I split that and a $1 beer for lunch. Tonight we are eating dinner here at St. Anne's.
David came by this afternoon with Ashley, her mom, and her girls and he took us to a larger groceries-only market. This market was definitely better if you only need food items and their prices were cheaper. Dad bought some Madeleines. Ashley and her mom have a fridge at their guest house but they are also paying twice as much as we are. I think we are doing just fine with what we have available to us here. Plus, I could really walk to Hassan market everyday to get yogurt, prepared foods, or anything else I need.
We felt totally safe walking to Hassan market. I will still be smart and not walk there after dark…but it really felt totally safe. The front door to the US Consulate is right in between the gates of St. Anne's and the market's side entrance. There is an armed guard at the door of the Consulate. There are some street vendors (definitely making money off of St. Anne's patrons - I might buy some things if my stay is shorter and I'm on or below budget) and I have heard that they also look out for the St. Anne's people.
Really, Congo is not nearly as difficult as I thought it would be. I do feel well prepared. The biggest things I worry about are 1.) just finishing the process, and 2.) the flight here was longer and harder than I anticipated. That might be difficult alone. I am really hoping I can come home with Dad. But even if I have to do it alone it will be GREAT just to bring them home.
It is only 5:40 pm here and it is already starting to get dark. It is a reminder that we are approaching winter here.
| Dinner at St. Anne's...Yes, that is a caterpillar on my plate! |
-B
No comments:
Post a Comment