I am so relieved that Katie made it through the night without any more problems. Her poor little tummy was just too full. Even as uncomfortable as she was she was still asking for more Cheerios when she went to bed. I have really worked hard today on making sure that she doesn't stuff herself too full. I'm also trying to make sure that she gets a wider variety of items. So she has only had a fraction of the amount of Cheerios that she had yesterday. I've resorted to doling out 3 or 4 when she gets really desperate and then redirecting her towards something else. We are also no longer saying the "Ch" word so that she isn't reminded. The first time I told her "no, later" was quite an event. She pitifully cried "o-e-o-e-o" over and over. She tried to get them herself. And then I just had to hold her and comfort her. But the upside is that she ate peas, onions, salami, pasta, meatloaf, and banana and plum puree for lunch (with no Cheerios!) All in smaller quantities, of course. Liz, the Cheerio necklace at the airport is still a fine idea. Just don't bring more than one necklace…and bring it in a bowl with a lid so she can carry them with her if she doesn't choose to wear it.
The other thing that we are going to work on with Katie Mumbi is sleeping in a bed. She does fine with that at night but she tends to want to sleep on the floor for naps. This afternoon she fell asleep on the floor and I picked her up and put her on the bed. Fifteen minutes later she woke up, got out of bed, and laid back down on the floor to go back to sleep. She does nap in the bed when we cuddle to watch a movie…but I can't do that right now because I took my Doxycycline at lunch. If I lie down it might burn my esophagus.
I have decided that it is the doxy that is making my stomach so upset. I haven't been eating enough food to counter act how nasty it is to my stomach. That wasn't a problem at home when I could take the doxy with half a chicken panini and a latte. But here I was taking it with a slice of toast and a few bits of banana…but that was all I could really manage to eat. I've decided I need to warm my stomach up a bit with breakfast and some form of snack and then try my best to eat something for lunch (I've been skipping lunch in favor of dinner and I think I should switch that). Today I had a vegetable soup with pasta and peas and some salami (chianti salami from home which was DELICIOUS!) and lots of water. Once my stomach started to feel icky I also had two pretzels with peanut butter. It has worked, so far, though. I have not thrown up!!! Dad is doing much better with the eating thing…and he even has been up for some cookies and madelines. He is at the market right now restocking.
So, Katie Mumbi just woke up, walked over to me on the bed, and held her arms up for me to scoop her up and cuddle with her. I laid down with her until she went back to sleep (which was pretty quick). She is also saying "Mama" a lot more and using it in her long Swahili sentences.
Earlier today, while Katie Mumbi was having her fit about the Cheerios, I could hear music from down the hall. I knew that English Mass was held in our building on Sundays (and I decided to not attend while we worked out of stomach issues) but I didn't know it was right down the hall. When they started singing the same "Alleluia" that we sing before the Gospel reading I decided that taking Katie to Mass might actually be a great strategy for thinking about something other than Cheerios. So I threw on a skirt, calmed Katie down with three Cheerios, put on their shoes, and headed down the hall. Down our hall is the door to the balcony for the chapel (we are on the 2nd floor). Nobody was sitting in the balcony so we went downstairs and found that it was a packed house. Dad was already in church and he had a seat, so after the Liturgy of the Word I walked Katie Mumbi to him and she sat in his lap. Nat was in the sling and happier with me standing so I stood in the back of the little chapel even though lots of people offered me a seat. I was glad to at least be there for the Liturgy of the Eucharist - even though I got a little teary thinking about how blessed and grateful I am to have my babies in my arms and how much I want to bring them home so that our WHOLE family can be together in God's house.
After Mass we went out into the St. Anne's courtyard for coffee (which was really more of a lunch thing) with the parish. It was great to spend some time with all of the Expats from all over the world. Most were from the US but there were also people (and families) from India, the Phillipines, and other African countries. We met a couple from D.C. with two little girls about the same ages at Nat and Katie. Another woman from Alexandria, VA has been here for a while and is returning home on Tuesday. They all asked how long we would be with them and I said we will probably be joining them on Sundays for the next month or so. They were so welcoming (and eager to hold the baby)!
The good news of the day is that our Kansas City friends, Adam and Jennifer, received their DGM exit permits yesterday and are getting on a plane tonight! We are so happy for them! But we will miss them and their boys, Dacian and Asher. Our traveling companions, Jeremy and his son Joseph, shared some more good news with us. They have new neighbors, Brian and Carrie from Houston. My friend Cami is good friends with Brian and Carrie so I am eager to meet them in person. They have just arrived and have just met their two new daughters (adopted kids #'s 5 and 6). I am giving them time with their girls…but I am really looking forward to meeting them! If you search "Amazing Grace and A Safe Haven" you can find their blog. Their story about adopting their son Haven is one of the things that really pushed my heart towards Congo. I can see their blog on my iPod so I'm going to have to figure out how they possibly updated it with the wifi situation here at St. Anne's! Maybe there is hope for my blog!!!
Sadly, we received some really terrible news today from one of the families with our agency. They were adopting two little girls (I think both just a bit younger than Katie Mumbi) and one of them came down with malaria and possibly typhoid fever. They just found out that their little Anna passed away. All prayers are appreciated.
-B
No comments:
Post a Comment