Hello everyone!
I'm glad to have the weekend to not haul the kids to the consulate or the hospital (for medical evaluations) or the passport office. We need this time to get to know each other and learn how to communicate. Plus, I'm sick. Not terrible…but still not feeling awesome and just not motivated to eat much. I would really be so happy to have a ginger ale and some Pho right now. Wrong country, I suppose.
Nat is doing well. He is getting fussier and fussier but I think I know why. First, he is teething and that is uncomfortable. Second, he has quickly learned that someone actually responds when he fusses and then gives him lots and lots of attention. Clever boy! He is generally in good spirits, though. And he is pretty darn cuddly and adorable. He is still eating a lot - but comparatively speaking it is all quite reasonable.
Poor Katie Mumbi has eaten herself sick. Literally. I have really tried to just give her little amounts at a time but she keeps asking for more and more. Especially Cheerios. I would say she is a Cheerio hoarder except that puts them in her bowl or in her skirt and carries them but then she also stuffs them all in her mouth. I imagine her deep love of Cheerios will continue…and that she will be quite upset tomorrow when I tell her "more later" in Sawahili. She ate lots of other things today too and so her little belly is just so full. She spent some time on the potty (she is pretty well potty trained during the day) and she urped up a little bit tonight. I have a crib pad under her just in case her tummy upset continues.
The food thing is just one of the noticeable signs that our little Katie had a VERY rough start. It is going to take a long time for her to learn and adjust to being in an American family - and she will need lots of love and support even when that's not so easy to give. Hopefully, when I'm feeling challenged in helping my new daughter, I will keep in mind an experience that Dad and I had today.
We were out in front of St. Anne's (rather than on the inside of the guest area which is typically accessible by going through the lobby) showing Katie Mumbi the statue of Jesus and the cat (paka) and the rooster (kaka) As we were heading back into St. Anne's with Nat and Katie, a very thin and sickly looking woman wearing a baby on her back came towards us. She was taking her baby off her back and trying to give the baby to us. We had to tell her "no" and walk away. So heart breaking!
Much love from Congo,
-B
No comments:
Post a Comment