Friday, February 10, 2012

No Reply

There is still no news on where we are in the court process.  I am really hoping and praying that we hear something today.  And I hope and pray that the news we hear is that we are one step closer to bringing home our little ones.

So what comes next? Here is the outline of what needs to happen between now and the time the kids arrive home:

  1. Both Mumbi & Kayakez will have their adoption decrees approved by the judge. (we are waiting for news of this)
  2. Both adoption decrees will be registered in their commune (also waiting for news of this) and our 30 day non-appeal waiting period will start.
  3. Once the 30 day wait is over and we will receive "Acts of Adoption"s for both Mumbi and Kayakez. This will be a huge milestone because at this point we will legally be their parents according to the DRC.
  4. New birth certificates will be issued listing us Mumbi & Kayakez's parents and Congolese passports will be issued. (4 weeks)
  5. We will request an appointment with the US Embassy to file I-600 and Immigrant Visa applications for both Mumbi & Kayakez. (1 week)
  6. We will receive our Embassy appointment date and then schedule travel.  We will also receive all of the necessary documents and compile our binders of documents for the US Embassy. (3-4 weeks)
  7. I will get on a plane and fly to Kinshasa.  An escort will bring the children to Kinshasa and I will finally get to hold them and kiss them!  From this point on they will be with me.  During the first week in Kinshasa I will be correcting any paperwork errors, taking the kids to have medical exams, and going to the first Embassy appointment to drop off our binders of documents. (1 week)
  8. At the beginning of my second week I will take the kids to the Embassy for our second appointment - the visa interview.  I hear I should expect a lot of waiting for a few quick questions.  Then we will return to our guest residence and wait...and wait...and wait.  (3 weeks)
  9. We will receive word (hopefully) that the visa have been approved.  A few days later they should be available for us to pick up.  Then we will submit our exit permit applications to DGM which is the last step involving the Congolese goverment. (1 week)
  10. God willing, Mumbi & Kayakez will be issued exit permits and we can fly home!!! ( 1 week)

So while I wait for an update I am doing a lot of logistical planning for living in a third world country for 5-6 weeks with an infant and a toddler.  Thank goodness my dad is planning on coming for the first week or two to help me bring all of my supplies and settle in with the kids at our temporary home and then get through that first week of appointments!  I am also trying to plan the logistics of Jeff being the primary caretaker of our two teens while still going to work everyday.  Thank goodness his parents are planning on coming for a week while I am gone to offer a helping hand!  And I haven't even really thought about what needs to be in place for arriving home with two new little ones.  Thank goodness Erin is on top of this!  She is already showing up at the door with clothes and supplies and calling on the phone with awesome ideas (which I hope she is writing down because I have adoption-brain)!  On top of this I am trying to learn some Swahili (Mumbi's language), some French (the official language of the DRC), and a tiny bit of Lingala (which is mostly used by the locals in Kinshasa).  And I'm trying to spend extra time with my husband, my big kids, and my friends while I can because I know that will be much more difficult once we bring home our two little ones. I've got a lot to do...so I should probably get off the computer and tackle one (or more) of these tasks!

-B

No comments:

Post a Comment