Tuesday, March 26, 2013

A Day In The Life

The most commonly asked question now that the kids are home is "How are you doing?"  I haven't figured out how to answer that question accurately without delving into a full ten minute discussion so I usually just answer, "Good! Crazy...but good!"

And that pretty much sums it up.  We do have some really bad days (like Sunday when Kate decided to be defiant all day long) and we do have a few really lovely, happy, peaceful days.  But most days are crazy and chaotic and exhausting but at day's end we are all still happy.  Like yesterday.

Yesterday was a snow day so all four of our kids were home.  I decided that I would take advantage of having the big kids home and get some cleaning done. So I was cleaning my closet and organizing my shoes when I hit the back of my arm on the wire shelving in my closet.  That totally would not have been a big deal if the end cap had been on the cut edge of the thick jaggedy wire.  It was not.  So Liz put some steri-strips and a bandage on it (because I can't see it much less reach it) and bundled Katie Mumbi up and drove me to the doctor.  The girls got to watch me get three stitches while the boys stayed home for Nat's nap.  

(*note, stitches are not a part of a typical day but some form of doctor's appointment or therapy is very typical)

After I was all stitched up we realized that it was time for a late lunch.  We battled the snow-day traffic (because the roads were totally fine and there really should have only been a two hour school delay) and got take-out from Chick-Fil-A.  We brought our food home, ignored the piles of laundry and the cleaning supplies strewn about, and ignored the fact that none of us had showered or brushed our teeth, and we ate lunch.  And Liz's boyfriend, Grayson, joined us.  

As lunch was finishing up Tip asked me if I could drive him to the UPS store.  I think my response was something along the lines of, "Are you kidding?  I'm in the middle of cleaning.  I haven't showered.  I promised Katie she could play in the snow that is currently melting.  And I just got stitches.  So, no, I will not drive you to the UPS store."  He got the message and instead bundled up his sister and sent her out to play in the snow. 

Eventually I finished my cleaning task and showered myself and the babies.  Liz helped me put my hair in a ponytail and changed my bandage.  And then it was time to start dinner.  Liz and Grayson drove Tip to the UPS store, picked up the grated Parmesan that I had forgotten, and dropped Tip off at the YMCA.  Katie Mumbi and Nat played while I started cooking.  Katie wanted to put water in her Baby Alive's bottle (yes the one that really pees) but I told her no since that requires full supervision and I was making bolognese sauce.

Liz and Grayson returned home, made queso with the Velveeta and Rotel that they had also purchased when I sent them to the store, and played with the kiddos for a little while before finishing their episode of "The Americans".  Grayson left and Liz went off to study for her physics, trig, econ, and govt tests. I texted Tip to see what his plan was for getting home and did not get a response. Jeff walked in the door without Tip.  I sent Liz out to the Y to bring him home so that he could be showered before dinner.  Jeff played with the little ones.

Then I heard Jeff say something about there being no more water in the baby bottle.  And Nat was walking around trying to suck out the last few drops of water from the Baby Alive bottle.  So I, of course, asked Jeff if he put water in Katie Mumbi's bay doll bottle.  Nope.  He didn't.  He thought I did.  Nope.  I had specifically told Katie that she may not have water in the bottle. So we questioned our younger daughter:

Me: Did you put water in the bottle? 
KM (choosing to take the honest approach): Yes
Me: Where did you get the water?  From the sink?  
KM: No, from that. (pointing to Nat's sippy cup - the one with the lid that screws on tightly and is almost impossible to pour from)
Me: How did you get the water out?  Did you unscrew the lid?
KM: No. I spit it.
Me: Do you mean you sucked the water out of his cup and then spit it into the baby bottle?
KM: Yes!!!

Jeff and I both tried to keep straight faces.  He was terribly impressed with her brilliant ingenuity and thought that should probably excuse her from any consequences.  I agreed that she is quite accomplished (she definitely developed a LOT of MacGyvering skills while living in an orphanage) and I appreciated her honesty - but I still told her that she could not play with her Baby Alive or bottle for several days.  I asked her to bring the baby doll to me.  And she did - followed by a stream of "pee".  Tip and Liz walked in the door.  Jeff was so proud to tell Liz and Tip about their inventive and clever sister.  Kate cleaned her baby doll's pee.  Tip showered.  We put dinner on the table.  

Five of us ate dinner while watching Nat occasionally lick a food item (which is progress for our little guy in feeding therapy).  Katie Mumbi was finishing up her bread when we started clearing the table.  We left her at the table with her bread and the plate with olive oil for her to dip her bread in.  I went back into the dining room to excuse Katie from the table and noticed that the plate of olive oil was almost empty.  Did she pour it out?  I checked the floor and her chair.  Nope.  All clean.  Then I noticed her hands and mouth were covered in olive oil.  Yes, she ate/drank it all.  Again, we tried to keep a straight face. 

We finished dishes and then I started to get the little ones ready for bed.  Right after I took off Nat's diaper to put on the pull-up he decided to let out a nice stream of pee.  I shrieked.  Katie laughed and announced the Nat "peed over Mommy".  Tip ran upstairs to get a new pull-up and new pajamas for Nat as well as clothes for me.  I cleaned Natty up and he walked around naked while waiting for his new diaper.  And then he peed again.  And laughed again.  

I finally got a clean diaper and clean clothes on Nat.  And I put a pull-up and pajamas on Katie Mumbi who told me, "I not pee over Mommy".  Nat got a bottle while Kate read a story.  And then we tucked them into bed.  Thank goodness they go to sleep easily!

Then I had a glass of wine and watched "How I Met Your Mother" with Tip while Jeff did some work stuff on his computer.   After HIMYM and a bet with Tip that in retrospect I think I am likely to lose, Tip headed up to his man-cave.  Liz studied up in her room and received a video "Prom-posal" from Grayson (yes, that is an actual thing).  And finally Jeff and I had a some kid-free time to catch each other up on our day.

Yes, yesterday was a pretty typical day.  I still can't figure out how to explain it concisely so I'm just going to stick with, "Crazy but good!"

-B

1 comment:

  1. Love.this. "Crazy but good" is my usual response to:)Otherwise I think I would seriously scare people if I told them how it usually goes.ha!

    ReplyDelete